Saturday, January 5, 2013

Day 5- Daffodil

The night I did Day 1, my husband was at work, but I texted him a picture of the sketch and he thought it was awesome and different than anything I ever had done and requested a picture of a fire breathing Chinese dragon with a mane. Totally doable and easy right? Well I put it off for a few days, because I had a lot going on and wasn't feeling quite motivated to get started on the dragon and tonight I finally decided to start on it. I'm not really good at drawing things out of my imagination and having them turn out good so I did a google search for Chinese dragons, looked at the images, and got started drawing. About 45 minutes later and after much erasing and redoing, I almost had his head halfway done and a body outline sketched out. Since it was already past 1 o'clock I decided the dragon was not going to be ready today, so I kind of did a cop out and sketched out a quick little daffodil (my favorite flower) gave it a leaf, and then stuck a little bug on it. This one is not favorite, and definitely not my favorite daffodil sketch (I actually do have a favorite daffodil sketch in an old sketchbook from about 7 years ago and when I look at it I can still remember the way the daffodil smelled while I was drawing, maybe I will scan it and share it with you sometime), and I'm not happy with how dark the squiggles are around the center part of the flower (too outline-y), but I was tired, and kind of sad my dragon was taking much longer than expected and I did this in like 3 minutes. Keep watching for the dragon though, I think it may take a week or so of working on in addition to other things, but Steve is home for the next 5 days which may mean I have drawing time during the day too and not just at night! So excited! The dragon is going to be freaking awesome though, not just a quick 5 minute thing just so I can say I did my drawing for the day, so awesome, I'm telling you, just wait and see!

What do you think? I already said i'm not happy with it, too outlined and a little too flat. 
(P.S.- Am I using parenthesis too much?)

*Pencils used- Statetdler Mars Lumograph 2H (It's my favorite pencil to use, can you tell?)

1 comment: