Sunday, January 6, 2013

Day 6- Rubber Duckie

Tonight's picture was once again done after the kids went to bed. I walked out of their room to the library/loft area and saw this rubber duckie sitting on the floor. Somehow during bathtime last night he made his way out of the bathroom and out into the loft. Instead of putting him away, I stuck him on the desk and settled myself into my orange chair to draw him. I think he's awfully cute. We kind of have a thing for pirates in this house, maybe I will tell you all about our family flag some day. We use it to conquer things. You may not have known it but Chicago, the Grand Canyon, Olympic National Park, Seattle, the Hoover Dam, the Redwoods, and lots of areas belong to my husband and I. They are part of the Conquered States of Steve and Kari, don't worry though, we still let other people visit and run the places even though we conquered them. (I guess I just told you about out flag, haha.) We made it when we were dating, and had it safety pinned together, when my mom saw it's sad state she helped us out and sewed into a nice version using good nylon fabric, and she even sewed the edge so we can put it on a dowel rod if we want to. We take it on all of our adventures (when we remember it, we're pretty forgetful people). It is top half blue fabric, bottom half green fabric (or maybe that's reversed) and on top of that centered is a pirate flag. I'll maybe post a picture of that too someday... we'll see... I bet if you go onto our other blog though you can see pictures of it, that would probably be much faster than waiting around for me if and when I actually post a picture of it. So yeah, just go to our family blog and look for it, you'll see it. So back to my original thought, we have a thing for pirates as is evidenced by our pirate themed playroom, pirate flag, and pirate rubber duckie, but isn't he cute!?
(picture of the duck, at a different angle than he was sitting when I drew him.)

*Pencil used: Staedtler Mars Lumograph 2H. I told you it's my favorite! It's just good for sketching because it erases easily and doesn't go on too dark or leave marks, but can easily be layered to make a wide range of values. all of this was done by the same pencil just depending on how hard or soft i pushed and if I went over it a few times to darken. 

3 comments:

  1. I like it! Are you sure you didn't use any yellow? ;) the shading is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is cute. Did I give you that duck? And it does look like you used yellow in the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No yellow, it does look it though. Maybe just a side-effect of the scanner. I used a not quite white Sketchbook and just blended the duck body with my finger and whatever pencil coloring was on my finger. It really does look yellowish though!

    ReplyDelete